Sunday, April 8, 2018

Palm Sunday Processional

While roaming the back streets and alleys of the old city we could hear a commotion coming from behind us, a rhythmic pounding getting closer and closer.  As I turned I saw men dressed in black robes, flanked by men wearing blue suits and maroon fez's holding heavy walking staffs.  Every other step, in unison, they were pounding on the stone steps of the street.  Boom..., boom..., boom.

I really don't like taking pictures of people!  Especially when, as in this set of photos, it appears that this is a spiritual moment in their lives.  I feel as if I am interrupting something very personal.  But at the same time, here they are walking through the streets of the city!  So I tried, as inconspicuously as possible, to get a few shots.  The narrow street, the crowd of people, and the odd lighting made it difficult, but hopefully you get a sense of this Palm Sunday processional...







No comments:

Post a Comment